Homemade Liturgical Calendar

Last year we hung up a liturgical calendar in our home.  I got one from the Church I worked at and we put it next to our seasonal calendar.  We used it periodically- slowly moving the "hand" over to the season we were on.  In our move this year, we even managed to move it and rehang it in our dining room.

Well the liturgical year passed and I don't work at that same church.  Also I think that LitPress only sells them in bundles of 10, 50 or 100.  I didn't need that many.  Since the particular details such as Saints' feast days and date/feast correlation don't matter much the kids anyway I just decided to create our own without all of the specific details.

Above all I wanted this to be a hands on thing that my kids could create.


1. First we made the circles.

Using a string, a nail, and a pencil my daughter made a circle.  Then we tied the string a bit shorter and made a shorter circle.

2. Then we added a picture

 I asked my kiddo to draw a favorite bible story.  She chose the ressurection story where the women go to the tomb to prepare Jesus' body and then encounter the ressurected lord in the garden.

3. Then I calendared it

Then I took the old calendar and divided sections up giving each season the portion that it had in the "official" calendar.

4. We colored it in

With some direction, she colored in each season according to its liturgical color.  For the white of the Christmas season she added some light blue snowflakes and the White of Easter we added some small green and yellow flowers.

5. We added bling

 Because when kids are into art projects they just want to keep adding stuff we added a random string around the edges.  .  . it was time for dinner before any glitter was added.

6. We added our own helpful information

Then I went in and wrote in the start and end dates of each season.  I feel like sometime in February we have a nightly conversation that is like this: "When is Easter this year?" "Is it a late Easter?" "No not too late?" "Well it's in March.." "So not late..." and it goes on and on and we can never remember the DAY.

This would be a great time to add important feast days, or dates of baptism. Anything that is special to YOUR family.

7. The last step is to add the "hand" I just took the one off of last years calendar to reuse.




Comments

  1. Greetings from the UK. Good luck to you and your endeavours. God bless you.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts